Friday, January 14, 2011
Speachless...
I did another eval on a patient today. She has expressive aphasia. How is it, then, that I'm the one left searching for words? She has a history of depression, and I'm worried about her. She's 84, and was completely independent, living on her own, and even driving before her stroke. I could see the frustration on her face as we asked her questions and she tried to answer. A tear rolled down her cheek as she tried to tell us her name. I had to continue with the evaluation despite it. It's hard to be "the therapist" and put my feelings aside. I wanted to stop everything and just sit and talk to her. As heartbreaking as it is, I have to remember that this is why I went into this field. To help people regain what they've lost. I just hope she can get back what she lost.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment